The Blue Rooster Bakery and Café Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

roller coaster still in full swing

Yesterday I felt we had a full staff, all scheduled over the shifts and hours of operation. 

Today -- no barista at 6:30, a sick cook and a waitress running late.

All but 2 customers were served the meals they came in for today, so we got up and running in a way I was quite proud to see - I view it as real teamwork in action.

Tomorrow - best to be prepared for all possibilities and to take what comes in stride.  What's the option? 

We are a small business, there are not layers of management, backups for all positions, extra folks to call in when sickness strikes, so we make do.

Right now we are also without a full time pastry chef and our display case is empty.   A big lesson learned in the arena of hiring professionals in the pastry field and we are now interviewing a few strong potential candidates. So, until we are big in action, Bob & Cory are handling breads, savory pastry shells, scones, prairie muffins, cupcakes, cookies and as many pastries as possible each day.

The nature of this business is so volatile that I imagine we will have ups and downs all thru the years -- and I imagine we will learn how to better handle them as the years go by.

Customers were great today -- thanks to each of you!


No comments: