The Blue Rooster Bakery and Café Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

In the background

Those background thoughts - "hum, haven't blogged in a while, maybe tonight" have been coming with some frequency over the last days and now I see weeks.
What's been in the foreground? hiring for the summer, hiring to meet the added demand at lunch throughout the week, hiring to support the dinner hour we will start in a few weeks time - hiring!?!
As I may have mentioned before, we have a three part process to hiring: 1) meet & greet & review a resume; if potential is there, on to 2) trial shift(s) learning the processes, the menu, a few of the stories; if potential is there, on to 3) scheduled in minimally to see if there is a good fit.

However, yesterday we had a dire need. Someone showed up to first meeting regarding a busser position, I asked if you would do dishes for the day since we were unexpectedly shorthanded in that area. He said yes. All went well as he heard the basics about our dish washing process, polishing requirements and storing location for various items.

I check a few of his completed items, they look OK. I come back & check the polished silverware -- it is not ok. I give him the - this batch needs a redo with a hotwater dip & a clean rag, OK? Got the look of OK, & no grumbling, so I continue along.

All was going along smoothly, we are in the thick of lunch (12:45), I notice dishes beginning to pile up & no dishwasher in sight. "Where is the dishwasher?" I ask. He went to the bathroom I am told. Dishes continue to pile up. Is it 5 mins, 10 mins, surely not 15 mins ? Where is the dishwasher? He went to the bathroom. I check the bathrooms as I see that we have no usable silver, the water glasses are smudgy and people are waiting patiently for tables.

All I can say is, I guess the dishwasher decided to use the bathroom at his house..... and so we continue our various searches for the various jobs that need to be done to keep the BRBC ticking over.

We are having some good success with waitstaff and today had a promising fellow in who want to bus, so it is an ongoing learning for me, a challenge to all who work here to fill in as the need arises - an especially large challenge when the need arises as quickly at the "I'm off to the bathroom" of yesterday...

On to staffing for dinner!!

No comments: